Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Wish you were here...


...in beautiful, sunny Bulgaria? Yes, that's right. Bulgaria. My family and I leave this afternoon for a week away at the Black Sea resort of Slanchev Bryag. Now, Bulgaria isn't somewhere I normally would have thought of as being a holiday hotspot, but there you go. Some friends of ours went a couple of years ago and raved about the place. Apparently, it's cheap. A pint of beer costs around 50 cents. I've never had Bulgarian beer. It's all very exciting.

I have to confess though, that I'm a little nervous. This is the first time we're going on vacation to a place where I don't know the lingo. I can be polite and say hello (zdravey), thank you (blago darya) and where is the toilet (kade e toaletnata?) but that's it. And it never fails, whenever we go on vacation, someone gets sick and I end up going to the drugstore and speaking to the pharmacist and getting whatever drugs we need to solve the problem. For example:

Summer 2004, Georgia gets sick after flying from London to Washington D.C. I am able to speak to the doctor at the emergency room (yes, she was that ill) because I am fully versed in American.

Christmas 2004, Georgia gets sick flying from Manchester to Oslo. I have learned enough Norwegian to explain the problem and get assistance. Of course, most Norwegians speak better English than I do, but the kind, drop dead gorgeous Norwegian man humors me and lets me have a go at pigeon Norwegian (are you getting it that my family, in particular my daughter, does not travel well?)

Summer 2005, my husband injures himself not once, not twice, but three times while on vacation in southern France. First, he developed a toothache, so I was able to get him some toothache stuff. Then, he got bit by something and his arm turned bright red and swelled to twice its normal size. I got bug bite cream. Finally, one night he had a dream he was playing soccer, and went up to head the ball into the goal. He headed the wall instead. After he assured me he did NOT need to go the hospital and get a catscan, he took some Advil and went back to bed wearing his cycling helmet to prevent any further injury.

So everyone cross your fingers that my husband and daughter manage to come out of this vacation unscathed. John is already talking about renting a jet ski and I'm having visions of Bulgarian emergency rooms. At least I'll be able to find the toilet.

10 comments:

mathbach said...

thx- gave me a hearty chuckle, despite being up working at 1:20am.

Vicky said...

Bollocks! Just turned on BBC morning news to learn that a terrorist plot has been foiled, arrests have been made, and that all hand luggage must be checked and the only hand luggage we're allowed is our travel documents in a clear plastic bag. There is special dispensation for infants, so at least we'll be able to take Chris' diaper bag! John says today will be an extra safe day to fly. I'm pooping my pants! Wonder what the policy is on carrying an clean pair of underwear?!

Donna (Skarbo) Sensor said...

Vicki-my husband and I would love to go to Bulgaria! The people should be wonderful. As for your family falling ill while on holiday...well, I can't help you there! Hope you have a great time!

mathbach said...

how about it, you picked a tough day to travel out of Heathrow. we'll look for you standing in line. best of luck with the big mess. (i meant the mess at the airport, not in anybody's underwear)

Vicky said...

Luckily, we're not going from Heathrow (because we wouldn't be going!). We're going from Robin Hood, which is our local airport. Flights are still delayed. They're delayed everywhere. We've taken everything out of Chris' diaper bag, and I've put it all into giant Ziploc bags. Everything else has to be packed. Georgia's moaning that she can't take a book on the plane, but if that's the worst thing that happens to us today, we've had a pretty good day. :-)

Sonya C said...

Please post when you return telling us about your trip. I heard about the terrorist plot on my way into work this morning. I hope everything went well for you at the airport and all your luggage showed up!!!

mj jones said...

gosh what a great post until I got the the terrorist part. Hope you have a great time. Your so brave traveling like that with a new born. I can relate to the sickness thing. My son gets sick quite frequantly when we go away. Nothing quite like your family he usually gets a fever and that holds us back a bit. One time he threw up at the Baltimore Aquarium. If he gets sick when we go to Hollywood I may have to leave him there.......anyway fill us in when you return.

kristen said...

great post vicki, good for a few laughs which we all need these days..i have no desire to fly any time soon...good luck and have fun, and good luck with that pooping issue, maybe you should just wear one of johns diapers..

kristen said...

correction, Chris' diapers

Carol (Schleicher) Good said...

Vicki, I hope you have a safe trip and nobody gets sick! Let us know how it went when you get back.