Wednesday, January 31, 2007

My Past 20

Hi, Everyone!! I feel like writing about the past 20 years is somehow similar to one of Mr. Freeman’s odd writing assignments. Here I go...

After CHS, I received an associate’s degree in early childhood education & from there I went on for my bachelor’s in elementary ed. from Cedar Crest. After graduating I was hired by the Allentown School District & have been teaching ever since. I’ve taught 2nd grade at Central Elementary for 9 years while getting more of an education about life in the city. Catty may as well be out of state for how different it is in Allentown! When the school went year round, that was my ticket to transfer to a ‘better’ part of the city and teach at Jackson School on 15th St. One of the other teachers is none other than Ms. Kornfeind (who was a teacher at Lincoln)! We became good friends & she is now the principal of the school. I’ve taught 2nd, 3rd, & 4th here w/ my favorite grade being 2nd.

In 1993 I met my future husband, Paul. We were married a year later & we’ve been happily married for 13 years! He’s a financial controller for a couple sites in the northeast. Paul loves his Corvette & drives far too fast on the 'performance driving' track! We bought a house up in Laury’s Station the same year I became pregnant…new house, new baby. We had a girl that we named Shuli which means ‘a gift from God’. We thoroughly enjoyed raising her for many years & figured there was no rush to have a 2nd.

All these years were filled with normal life stuff & were very happy. In late 2005 things changed when my Dad had what’s called a stroke to the eye which has left him with partial vision. A few weeks later, my Mom became extremely ill. She was good at hiding her worries from us for months just claiming a cold which she later decided was bronchitis. It was neither, it was lung cancer. She was in & out of the hospital for a few weeks w/o telling us the truth because she was protecting us, although in our hearts we knew. My Mom was a fighter up till the last day of her life when the doctor told her the cancer was so bad that all they could do was keep her comfortable. I swear the change in her was almost instant & we were devastated to hear that she only had a few weeks. I stayed overnight in the hospital with her that night along w/ my Dad & sister. (I'll never be able to express how bad lung cancer is.) Paul told me to stay & I’ll always be thankful that I was there when she died in the early morning of December 7th. While my Dad grieved her loss he had head trauma from a fall & ended up in ICU for a few days. During this time we found out I was pregnant- convincing us that things were turning around & some happiness was returning. A few weeks later I had a miscarriage which all but broke me. With God, family, & friends we got through it.

Now, I’m in the 22nd week of pregnancy & we’re expecting a baby in June!!! Shuli is thrilled to become a big sister & is the keeper of a huge secret…she knows what the baby is going to be! Paul & I don’t want to know till delivery. Our cat, Chloe, has adjusted well to the loss of laying on Mommy's belly b/c of the pregnancy. She's a 15 lb. ball of love & has found a small area of my lap that's still usable! I’m not teaching this year b/c this pregnancy is high-risk & we want the baby to be healthy over anything. I'm thankful I have the luxury to have this time off. We had a little scare a few days ago & there are some things we have to keep an eye on but we have faith. I know there’s a huge 9 year gap since having a newborn to care for but I can’t wait!!! Let the games begin…

That’s it for now. I’ll see you all at the next reunion!
Take care,
Terri E.

19 comments:

Michelle (Heist) Edwards said...

Terri, what a great write up of the last 20 years. It was nice seeing you at the craft fair. Lots of luck with the new baby.

Sonya C said...

Your daughter is beautiful....you are going to have your hands full in a few years!!!

Great to finally see your bio posted - sorry you couldn't make this reunion, but glad to hear you are on board for the next.

Rayban said...

Hey Terri!

Great bio, thanks for filling us in. You had previously mentioned to me the tragedies you had to overcome and I am glad that things are turning around for the better. Congrats on the pregnancy! Hope the remaining time of your pregnancy goes without a hitch. Great pic of you and your daughter! Your daughter is beautiful. Are you aging at all? You look just as you did in high school....
I'll fill you in on Steve Smith after we get together tonight. It has started snowing here so hopefully that doesn't delay or cancel his trip.
Talk to you soon!

Steve Freeman said...

Nice prose Ms. E. If I may say (OH Hell, I'll say what I want), you look exactly like you did 20 years ago. Most of us have aged, but your pix are proof that some can still pass for a student. I am happy to see you have been bitten by the blog bug and hope to hear more about your antics and life in the Allentown School District.
I can't believe Kornfiend is a principal. I still have nail marks in my left arm from her torturing us in the lunch line in middle school.

kristen said...

terrie, glad for the update, you look great and your daughter is the spitting image of you...Mr. Freeman is now my son Jake's homeroom & English teacher, its so funny! And I cant wait to tell Brad about Ms Kornfiend, we often wonder where she went and who knew she was still even around here! I do remember reading about your mom's passing, sorry...unfortunately too many of us know how dreaded that damn cancer is! Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy

Jamie said...

Hey Terri...
What a great update! Your daughter is beautiful and congratulations on your pregnancy. Ms. Kornfiend, a principal? That surprised me. I student taught at Central and loved that school! Did you work with Sue Bremmer?

TerriE said...

Michelle-It was great seeing you! It seems we keep running into each other every so many years.
Sonya-Thank you! I'm more concerned about the inevitable 'teenagerhood' that'll have my hands full!
Ray-Thanks for the compliments. I pray the next 18 wks. go easy, too. Shuli's itching for snow to play in, send some here! Hope your plans aren't ruined for tonite...keep me posted!
Steve-Actually people do have a hard time picking me out in my classroom if I'm not standing! Gotta love the memories of lunch at Lincoln. Remember the table lifts?
Kristen-So, do you ever bust on Steve? As a parent you could make things interesting... :)
Jamie-Yes, I taught w/ Sue for many years; she's such a sweetie! When were you there?

kristen said...

terrie, i have no complaints, jakes average this semester in english is 100 and we havent had to have a conference this year, only really see him at school functions

randyg said...

Terri - nice bio. I hope all goes well with the pregnancy and look forward to seeing newborn pictures here. Does anyone know how many new babies have been born since this blog thing started?

TerriE said...

Hhmmm...'blog babies'. Interesting. I'd like to know. Plus for the older kids, what school districts they're in.

kristen said...

terrie...jake has mr michael freeman (our old teacher from lincoln) not steve, so obviously that answers your last question...my kids go to catty

mj jones said...

oh my gosh he is still teaching I was so mean to him. I am glad my kids don't go to Catty just for the fact that I wouldn't want to face some of those teachers today.

TerriE said...

Michelle-I forgot you worked w/ him. He is a real kid at heart. Thanks for the well wishes!
Kristen-Oh, now it makes sense! I forgot you live in Catty. He must be close to retirement or there's something about that Catty water!

kristen said...

there are not too many of our teachers left, let's see, Freeman, Emert(home ec), Varkony, Mrs May(Ms. Reed), Milne is all i can think of at the middle school..CHS, Haines, Ms Dinan, Angeline (think he's done this year), Wolfe, Heffner, Fahringer, Cadden,

TerriE said...

Kristen-
Wow! It's amazing. Think about it...however many years they taught before us (they certainly weren't fresh out of college) plus 20 since we graduated. OMG-

kristen said...

bydlon, forgot him

mathbach said...

Terri - i've added your name to the blog's sidebar bio-list but i was unsure of the spelling of your maiden name, let me know if it is wrong. Dave stole all my yearbooks at the reunion so i have no way to check it.

thanks for the great write up, good luck with the upcoming event and Shuli is beautiful, the name and the girl, very nice.

Steve Freeman said...

Juan Pail is still at the high school. I bump into him at Giant every so often. He told me he was in his 38th year and will stick it out for a few more (he claims he still loves it).

TerriE said...

Matt- 'You done good'! Not the easiest of names. Thanks for the compliments on my daughter, she really is a gift from God! btw- your girls are cutie pies, too!
Steve- Can you see yourself still teaching after 30yrs.?! I'm amazed I haven't had a career change after 15. Never really saw this as a lifetime thing but I'm in this far so I'll try for another 10. Yikes! Get me some Catty water...quick!