Thursday, August 24, 2006

My Summer



I love all the posts that have been going up, but I went an entire summer (again) and went no where. I saw three movies at the theater (Cars, Monster House, and Barnyard). I cleaned the pool 86 times and went swimming 5 times (though my boys used the pool a lot, especially during the heat wave). I went to Chuckie Cheese 3 times, and Kid's Castle 2 times (when it rained or was too hot to swim). I went to the Catty Playground with the boys on 4 occasions (but never made it into the Catty Pool, though we did plan to and it rained - go figure). I washed my Explorer 8 times (yesterday being the 8th and as I type this, it is RAINING)(slow summer - it sat mostly), and went to 1 Eagles' preseason game (Steelers tomorrow). I played numerous hours of video games, read the blog daily and usually many times a day (slow summer - like I like it). I finished 3 more graduate courses (online - easy stuff - Flash animation, Intro. to Windows XP, and Photoshop Elements)to take my level to MS + 45 credits (only 15 more to hit the max.).
Now, I have to go back to work. This morning is the beginning of my 17th year of teaching, and after 72 days off (yes, 72 days without work, but the checks come every other Wednesday), I have to begin again (as I have 16 times before and will for at least 17 more). I have to sit through the "welcome back" speeches, the "this is what is new this year - changes in the Student Handbook, I get to go out for lunch with adults, and then go back for a 36 points of light faculty meeting. I can't wait for the students, Inservice days BLOW.

14 comments:

Sonya C said...

I feel so sorry for you Steve.....

mj jones said...

look at it this way when this years finished your half way to retirment!

Vicky said...

I had to go into work today because my seniors got their exam results from UCAS (the British equivalent of the College Board). Luckily, they did well, so I wasn't handing out the kleenex. One more week off and then two inservice days, with school officially starting on September 6th.

Donna (Skarbo) Sensor said...

Luckily you only had to go to Chuckie Cheese 3 times! ;-)

Thanks for the update, Steve.

kristen said...

boy, you sound just like brad..it sucks to have 72 days off, the depression sets in once football practice starts...i told him a year round job might do him good then he'd no longer go thru this funk every year!

Unknown said...

Steve, I told you before there is work here for you. SLACKER !!!!!!

mathbach said...

yeah, now that i know you have Flash skills i'll keep you busy next summer!

Steve Freeman said...

My, My. The Stiller Bandwagon must have new shocks to hold all the frontrunners (not saying you are one Michelle, but AFTER the Superbowl last year, all these Stiller fans started sprouting out). The correct chear is E-A-G-L-E-S, Eagles!

Steve Freeman said...

I meant cheer.

kristen said...

hail to the redskins!

Steve Freeman said...

Boy, being at the game last night (Eagles v. Steelers), I must say the Superbowl champions look like they need a kicker. He missed two that should have been made by a 1st team kicker. So all you Stiller fans can be quiet now.

randyg said...

Steve - the only time the Eagles look good is in Pre-Season.....don't worry they'll self destruct as soon as the season gets started. GO STEELERS!!!!!

Steve Freeman said...

Michelle, how old is your daughter? I can't get my 7 year old son to have that kind of passion for football.
Randy, the Steelers will be fine, but I'm telling you, they need a kicker. You can't go into pressure games and have Reed miss like that. It will bite them in the "ass".
Oh Yeah, Go Birds (Sandman, I need you to have my back brother, chime in).

Steve Freeman said...

Michelle, I loved my Chuckie and he had great genetics. I bought him from the owner of Clover Hill Wineries (near Kutztown) and he was one of 13 pups. His father was a police dog and his mother was one of the dogs that guarded the winery (though she was also the family pet). Since Chuckie died, I'm pretty sure his mother is also. I have no idea about his siblings, but he was from good genetics (no hip problems, good disposition). Best of luck in finding a rottie. I love the breed.