Saturday, February 04, 2006

God Save the Queen!

Vicki wrote this, and i had to repost it because the blogger.com was acting a bit funky and some things were lost...

I was really intrigued to get the e-mail from Matt inviting me to visit this blog. I haven't thought about high school in a long time, so to read what people have been up to for the past 20 years has been really exciting. I left Catty in 1987, went to college in Florida, met my (soon to be) British husband in 1994, married him in 1995 and later that year followed him across the Atlantic Ocean to my new home in Yorkshire, England.
For a small town girl, moving to England was a big deal. I didn't know anyone except John (my husband). I couldn't drive - well I could, but not without hitting something (more on that later). Then there was the language barrier, and believe me, British English, specifically Yorkshire English, is a completely different language. For example, "Well, I'll go t'foot uh ar stairs" roughly translates to "Really? I don't believe it?" I still can't speak Yorkshire, but after 11 years here I can finally understand what people are talking about.
Driving was another challenge. I was okay on the road once I figured out that I have to look right-left-right instead of left-right-left, and also because I could follow the person in front of me. Going in or out of the driveway was another story. I have hit (in no particular order) the garage, the house, the fencepost and the pine tree next to the drive (which John mercifully removed before I killed it). Luckily small children and animals move very quickly in this country.
Again, time has improved the situation, and I drive everywhere now. I even drove during our vacation in France last year, which was truly interesting because I was on the right side of the road but the wrong side of the car.
Anyway, back to Catty. My mom still lives in the house I grew up in, and my older brother lives in Northampton, so we try to visit about once a year. The one thing that I like about Catty is it doesn't change. Well it does, but not that much. The last time I visited I noticed two major changes - the new high school (which my mom tells me is pretty impressive now that it's finished) and the fact that they filled in Catty Pool so it's a constant 4 feet deep and got rid of the diving boards. I noticed this only because I took my daughter (yes, she does call me "Mummy") when we visited last summer.
I think it's excellent that no matter where life takes us, we all have this commonality - Catty High Class of '86. So even though I haven't seen any of you in 20 years, we still have some common ground we can meet up on, and use to reconnect with each other again. Kudos to Matt and the guys for clearing that patch of ground and making space for everyone to sit down and catch up.

Vicki Collings
"bloody yank"


check out Vicki's latest family member (our first blog baby)
added 4/11/06

19 comments:

mathbach said...

good stuff Vicki, and thanks for taking the plunge and making a post, well done. if we all take the time to do one of these i think it will make this blog something relatively meaningful.

tmmullen said...

Meaningful, schmeaningful...

Doesn't matter. I also loved it and have been waiting all day to post my comment. Thanks not only for the update, but also for a well-needed laugh. I laughed so loudly, my wife asked me what I was up to (I had said I was going to pay bills - so I took a peek at the blog, sue me...).

Anyway, I'm hoping this encourages others to join in and share, well, whatever. I wonder who we'll hear from next...

LongE said...

Vicki.....you grew up on Pennsylvania Avenue down the street from me right? I wonder sometimes when I pass your old house if your family still lives there. I can still remember seeing you there in your little blue car (correct me if I am wrong).
I have a good friend who grew up in and still has a flat in the south of London. Where is Yorkshire in relationship to London?

Vicky said...

My mom still lives in the house on Penna Ave all by herself. My brothers and I keep hassling her to sell it, but she won't. OMG, my little blue Honda - I haven't thought of that car in years! It died on a road trip from Virginia to Florida when I was in college. We live in South Yorkshire, which is about 200 miles north of London. We go often, since it takes only 90 minutes on the train and we can all go for around $50 round trip. We'd spend more than that on gas and parking if we went in the car. We'll be going again around Easter, to register the new baby as a U.S. citizen.

Vicky said...

Todd, do your family still live on Penna Ave? I always wonder about who still lives where when I visit my mom.

LongE said...

Yes. My Mom and Dad still live there. They have gone through a lot over the years with my Mom's health problems, but they are hanging in there. I bought the house from them a few years ago to help them out, but they will live there as long as they want. I now live in Bethlehem, but stop over to see them every day, as I keep my Tastykake truck at there house.

LongE said...

Vicki,
I am assuming there aren't any Superbowl parties tonight in England.

Vicky said...

I'm watching a pre-game show right now. Unfortunately, the game doesn't start until 11pm and ends around 3am!! Superbowl Sunday is one of the days that makes me homesick. Thanksgiving is another, because they are uniquely American events and the Brits, while sympathetic, just don't get it.

LongE said...

No and they never will. My British friend Neil, who is married to a close from of mine, has been living here for several years now, and just can't get into American football. It's hard for us to understand, as we think football is the greatest thing in the world. But then again, we feel about soccer as they feel about football. If you weren't broght up with it, you just don't get it.

tmmullen said...

God - we are self-obsessed Americans... I never even considered what long-e asked you... Just for the record, I am a Seahawks fan and have been, well pretty much since since 1981 or so.

I grew up listening to my dad and uncles bitch and moan about the Eagles year in and year out and after all the moping around after their super bowl loss in 1981, I thought to myself, "I'm not going out that way."

So Seahawks were a lousy expansion team in the opposite conference as the Eagles (they only came into the NFC recently) - so no one could accuse me of being a band-wagon fan or rooting against the Eagles. If they're good, they're on tv, f they're bad - there 3000 miles away. Good times...

Then they got Curt Warner from Penn State and I was hooked for life. I loved Steve Largent and now, more than 20 years later, they are finally playing in their first Super Bowl!

Go Hawks!

Oh, and god save the Queen...

Vicky said...

I got heavy into soccer during the last World Cup, when John came home from work and announced that "the Yanks beat Portugual today." We had both the Stars and Stripes and the George Cross flying in front of the house, and I watched every match the U.S. played. My students like to remind me that the U.S. soccer team sucks, and then I like to remind them that we went EXACTLY as far as England did in the last WC, which was the quarter finals. And I'll be watching this year.

mathbach said...

Vicki - sorry if this was covered and i missed it but what grade do you teach?

Vicky said...

I'm a high school Spanish and French teacher, so I teach kids aged between 11 and 19 (you're in high school a LOOOOONG time in this country!)

Carol (Schleicher) Good said...

Vicki,
It was so nice hearing about all you have been up to for the past 20 years. I have to agree that the account about your driving did crack me up. I'm living near Lancaster and we have three boys ages 5, 9, and 12. They keep me hopping running to all their sports practices, but it is so much fun. For now I should get back to work. I think it is great that the guys put this blog together. Up to a few days ago I didn't even know what a blog was.

Vicky said...

Carol (well, anybody) drop me a line and let me know what you're up to. And everyone needs to post some pictures! I want to see if you are all as time-ravaged as I am!

Carol (Schleicher) Good said...

Vicki, what is your email? The best email to reach me is pcgood@dejazzd.com

Vicky said...

bloodyank@collo79.freeserve.co.uk

Everyone e-mail me! I'm on maternity leave and have loads of time to kill!

pauko27 said...

Vicki, maybe you could help us try and locate more people? We need as much help as possible!

Email Matt and I.

Dave P
pauko027@hotmail.com
matt@runningpump.com

Jeff P said...

Vicki,

I see what happened - I got logged out and it didn't take my post because I didn't reenter my password...so here is a re-post....Good to hear that you are doing well. I have to tell you that I was only kidding about my post on the other site, that is a cool name (I was teasing you about stuttering!!). I have a neighor who is Due on May 1st (with a boy) and I'm trying to talk her & her husband into naming their child Morgan (their last name is Morgan as well!). I'm glad to see everyone with young children, I thought I was the only one!! I hope that all goes well for you.

Jeff