Thursday, February 16, 2006

Randy G. checking in




Hello everyone from CHS 1986. It's really neat to see everyone's posts so far.

I guess I'll catch everyone up.

After high school I went onto Pennsylvania College of Technology in Williamsport, Pa for Construction Technology. I got hired right out of college by Salisbury Township as a Construction Code Official / Inspector. I worked at the township for 17 years. I left the the township in April of 2005 to pursue an opportunity to get an independent inspection company up and running in the area. I get to inspect some really beautiful homes as they are being built. We are currently handling the Lehigh Valley Hospital expansion project. We inspect for four municipalities in Lehigh and Northampton Counties. Enough about work

I have a daughter Kaylyn

I coordinated and constructed two of my own homes in the past 15 years.

I remarried in 1998. We built our house together in 1999. We truly enjoy spending time together and relaxing at the beach as often as possible.

I took up road biking about 5 years ago and have been doing some charity rides each summer. Last fall I rode the MS City to Shore ride which was 180 miles in two days. It was the most physically challenging thing I ever did in my life. I was on the bike for over 10 hours. The first day I rode 100 miles (century). It was tough to walk for several days after the event!!!!!!! (See the caption of the Rough Rider symbol at the top of the home page)

I am very involved with Kaylyn's activities. I coach her soccer and basketball team. She was in the PA Youth Ballet and performed the "Nutcracker" at Lehigh University. I even was an assistant brownie leader (what was I thinking???) I guess I was the only brownie with nuts!!!!!!

I do see some CHS classmates from time to time.

This is a great idea.Count me in on a reunion event.

21 comments:

andrea said...

Hey Randy, it has been a while. He was working over their at the hospital for a while also, I think he is at Liberty High School now. I'm glad you are doing really well....Brownies????? Even I stayed away from that!

kristen said...

hi randy, boy Aunt Karen doesnt mess around, she got you that info fast....

randyg said...

Yes, Brownies was an interesting experience as is coaching girls sports. It must be the age that Kay is at.

Glad to see that you are doing well Andrea.

Yeah, Aunt Karen doesn't mess around. How are you Krisen? How is your family doing.

pauko27 said...

It's great to hear about your involvement with your daughter. Good luck with the business.

Road riding can be tough but fun. Matt H used to be a very good off-road rider, then switched to road riding. I've done a little bit of my own on and off and have done 2 MS rides (175 miles here). The MS rides are great experiences.

Dave P

randyg said...

My wife's cousin was diagnosed with MS and the company I work for sponsored a team in her name. Do you guys still ride? I though about doing some criterium races but realize my competition days are over. I just ride now to stay in some type of shape and to achieve some personal goals. Didn't Joe Jackson use to ride off road as well? Did you say that you are in North Carolina? There is some big Mountain ride every year that you have to get on a waiting list to even ride the event.

mathbach said...

Randy - to answer your question about riding, i still ride quite a bit but it has been a couple years since i've raced for a team. i do make it point to ride to the beach for our July boy's weekend. a cold beer never tastes better than after 9 hours in the saddle.

btw, Joe rode his mtn bike just long enough to break his arm.

Vicky said...

I love getting up in the morning (when you guys are still sleeping!) to see who's checked in overnight. Randy, your daughter is beautiful. From one Brownie parent to another... :-)

Vicki Collings

randyg said...

Hello Vicki
I really enjoyed reading your story. It looks like most of us have lived a sheltered life in staying close to home. Great to hear from you.

Vicky said...

Thanks Randy. Part of me wishes I'd stayed nearer to home. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't trade my life here for anything, but sometimes I feel like Georgia (my daughter) is missing out on things I'd really love for her to experience. I have American friends here who have kids and they agree.

Vicki

mathbach said...

like what?

LongE said...

BASEBALL! HOT DOGS! APPLE PIES!

mathbach said...

there you go, yelling again.

Vicky said...

What Todd said - baseball, football games (well any organised sport - they don't spend a huge amount of money on sports here, hence GB getting only one medal in the Olympics), school dances, the prom, driving at 16, graduation, just high school - period. We have hotdogs and apple pie.
Vicki

LongE said...

Yes but they have fish pie!

Vicky said...

Eeww!

Carol (Schleicher) Good said...

Hi Randy, good to hear from you. It sound like you are very involved with you daughters activities. That is what makes life fun! All my boys play baseball and my older son will be playing on two baseball teams this season. I am at a baseball field almost every night of the spring and summer.

andrea said...

Hey Randy, Kaylyn is beautiful. You have done a great job with her. My girls dance also. They started with ballet and they also do hip/hop and tap. Drew plays basketball non-stop. He does well for his age (we play him with an older league to keep him moving along). Watching them involved and grow in whatever they do is just so fun...

randyg said...

It sounds like all of us are busy with our kids. I wouldn't trade it for anything else. I enjoy giving back what I have learned so far in my lifetime. I'm just glad that she is picking sports that I played. If she becomes a cheerleader I'll call you for advice....that's out of my league.

andrea said...

unfortunately my children didn't pick things that i did...my girls were involved with cheerleading in virginia for a while. i coached them for a couple of seasons and enjoyed it. they don't have alot of cheerleading here in arizona...mostly just for competing and they don't enjoy that as much.

randyg said...

I would love to visit Arizona some day. I talk to so many people who say it is so beautiful there. Kay danced for 7 years and the last two demanded so much of her time. She developed a foot problem and the Dr. said ballet was not going to help in any way. She needed to be in some type of supportive footware activity. So now she does the soccer and basketball thing.

andrea said...

Yeah, it is beautiful here...anytime, bring the family and head out...the sunsets are awesome! (not to mention the warmer weather!!)