Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Sturgis 06



What a beautiful site, here is a shot down Main Street in Sturgis. More bikes then could ever imagine. It is amazing some of the ideals and imagination some people have and they express them in their bikes. Pretty cool stuff! Dispite all the very cool custom bikes here, I was surprised at how well my bike was received. So I guess I did it right. I rode up to Sturgis on the beast with a group of 8 other guys and we stayed the entire 10 days. We stayed a campground the entire time which is really the way to go. The campgrounds are a lot of fun and offer all types of entertainment, ranging from on site bars, concerts and other things I won't mention here because they are, well lets just say family friendly.



This picture to the left is me and the beast parked on Main Street. Surprisingly enough, you can usually find a parking spot. We actually only went into Sturgis 2 days of the 10 days we were there. We spent every morning and early afternoon riding. We had mapped out routes to many different towns and scenic attractions. One of my favorites towns was Deadwood, of course had to spend sometime in Saloon #10. This is the saloon that Wild Bill Hickock was shot and killed in. Although the town does really hold any of the original wild west feel anymore due to numorous fires and mudslides it is still a very interesting and historic place to see. We rode to Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Devils Tower, Custer National Forest (where the filmed most of Dances With Wolves), Spearfish Canyon, The Badlands, The Black Hills national Forest, The Needles and Iron Mountain. Some very incredible riding and beautiful country.





This last picture here is just to show that I actually did ride my bike all the way there, it is hard to see in the background but that is the Welcome to South Dakota sign. Don't know if I would ride all the way up there again. Although my bike may look cool, it was not made for the long haul. Might have to be a trailer queen next time. But I did it once and that is all that matters in my book. All 9 of us made it up there and back with no casualties and major bike problems so that right there made it a very successful trip. Plus all the fun we had, well, that we can remember and for the good times we can't, well that's what the pictures are for. Guys, the stories I have for ya, I'll fill you in at the reunion, might even bring some pictures. I haven't stop smiling since I got home and I think it is going to stay that way for awhile.

Ride On!!!!

15 comments:

Donna (Skarbo) Sensor said...

Dude, what an awesome trip/vacation! Great pictures, too. In that last picture you have the look of someone who spent some serious time on the road; way to go! Looking forward to hearing the stories at the reunion.

Carol (Schleicher) Good said...

That looked like a great trip. I haven't seen so many bikes in one place before! I actually have my learners permit and am going to be taking a motorcycle safety course in a few weeks. I think it looks like so much fun. If I ever take a long trip though I think I would need a more comfortable bike.

Sonya C said...

Sounds like a great trip. Like your farmer's tan and the tattoos. Did you get another one at Sturgis? I hear that is the thing to do....

Carol, I am amazed that you are learning to ride a bike. When I think back about you I would never have guessed that. Congratulations!!!

mathbach said...

very cool Ray. how many miles was the journey there, and what hurt the most?

mj jones said...

COOL!!!!!!

kristen said...

great way to see the sights!

Donna (Skarbo) Sensor said...

Carol-are you looking to get a bike? If so, what are thinking? I looked at bikes with a friend and I sat on a BMW but I'm a few inches too short! It was a beautiful bike. Of course, my husband would kill me if I seriously wanted to buy and bike and ride. So let's say that's not a big topic of conversation in this house...

Donna (Skarbo) Sensor said...

Oh, for the record, I can totally see Carol on a bike. :-)

Rayban said...

Well Sonya that is only part of the farmers tan that you can see in the picture. I have a nice line across my forhead where my due rag stoped and of course the raccoon look from the glasses. It's all starting to fade now. I did not get another tat in Sturgis, it was tempting but I just couldn't see being able to take care of it properly. Just trying to keep it clean and out of the sun would have been tough at a campground.

Mat, the total trip including all the day trips was just shy of 3000 miles. Other then feeling like I had been kicked square between the legs, it was all good. Just got numb after awhile. Vibration really takes it toll on you.

Carol, that is sweet that you are getting bike qualifeid. Do you have a bike or are you in the market.

pauko27 said...

Ray, very cool. You may inspire me to make use of my motorcycle license that I got 20+ years ago and never used.

Rayban said...

It's never to late Pauko...I went thru a period of about 10 years where I didn't ride or own a bike. Couldn't do it again, too damn much fun!

Steve Freeman said...

Ray, love the bikes, but have not owned one since 1989 (Honda 450 my uncle GAVE me). Oh, I also got your check today. See you in Oct.

randyg said...

Ray - looks like a lot of fun. I look back now and realize a lot of things I have done involved two wheels. I was into BMX bike racing through Middle School and early High School. Had a dirt bike motorcycle that Rusty, Strohly and myself use to get into trouble on. I wish I would have known about road biking earlier because I really enjoy that. I have had a motorcyle just up to about two years ago and sold it after a close call on my way into work. Just never got back on it after that incident. Sometimes I really miss riding a motorcycle but just won't take that leap again. Ride On.

Rayban said...

Cool Steve, by the way do you have the hotel info handy, I seem to have missed placed it. Got my flight booked so I am locked in now. My first bike was a Honda CX 500.

Randy, it was a blast and I completely understand about how you feel after a close call. It is an eye opener. But I have had more close calls in a car and have just told myself that you can't avoid them regardless of what you drive so I choose to drive what I enjoy. You can never predict what someone else is going to do. All you can do is trust your own skills to keep you out of danger. Luckily yours kept you safe. For now I still choose to ride, there may be a day when I decide that I can't do it any more. For all who ride be safe!

Ride on!

Randy, I guess I should go ahead and sign up for golf if you still have room for a hacker. I will also send an e-mail to the address mentioned in the invite.

randyg said...

Ray - I already have you signed up for golfing. I guess I need to figure out the evite thing or just do a final post to who wants to play.