Wednesday, April 19, 2006

At Last, The Bio

This is a picture of me from June '05 in Krakow, Poland. I'm standing next to "Krak," the dragon who has become somewhat of the symbol of Krakow.

Sorry it has taken me so long to do this; I seem to have become quite the procrastinator!

I ended up majoring in philosophy and graduated from Penn in 1990. College was a blast and I met some really great people.

While in school I worked part-time as a computer tech for three years at Wharton which really saved my ass when I went to look for a real, full-time job because having a BA in Philosophy during a recession wasn’t exactly a standout credential.

After 30 interviews I finally landed a computer tech job at LaSalle University in North Philly in February ’91. The only thing that kept me together during the unemployed time was Michael, who I met on a Rush fan e-mail list. (Note: toward the end of college I got really into the rock band Rush. I should have listened to Dan P. in middle school!) Michael asked a question on-list and we ended up having a private e-mail correspondence. From this we struck up a friendship and then a romance. He was at PSU at the time but then transferred to Temple to be with me. (Silly boy!)

Michael is a couple of years younger than me so we stayed in Philly for a couple of years while he finished his undergrad (BA in German). We moved to Pittsburgh in ’93 so he could go to law school and I got another computer job. We also married that October. Around this time we acquired our first two dachshunds, Johann, a red short-hair male (above, with Gretchen) and Ludwig, a chocolate and tan long-hair male (below). When Michael graduated from law school in ’96 he got a job in Delaware so we moved again and I found another job.

After years of wondering why most of my friends had traveled even when they didn't seem to have any money, we finally traveled to Europe in 2000 to attend Michael’s brother’s wedding in Hungary. Now bitten by the travel bug, I surprised Michael later that year by taking him to Iceland for his 30th birthday.

The following March my sister and I traveled to Italy. A few months later Michael and I bought a house. These two events had a lot to do with me deciding to pursue a career in interior design. I had been thinking about getting out of the computer field for years but I didn’t know what I wanted to do instead. Traveling to Italy reawakened my interest in art and buying a house focused my energy on the importance of comfortable, livable spaces.

At some point, Michael and I had gotten involved in Dachshund Rescue of North America. This also meant that we had adopted two more doxies: Gretchen, a black and tan short-hair female (above) and Romeo, a black and tan dapple male (below).

I began working on my MS in Interior Design at Drexel University in Philadelphia the summer of 2003. It is a full-time program. I knew the program was going to be intense but I am amazed at how my whole life has gotten sucked into this strange black hole of graduate school. I am looking forward to having a life again since I graduate on June 17.

Fortunately, by the time I see all of you, this grad school craziness will be a thing of the past and I will be working at some type of job or seeking employment.

I hope this was worth the wait. :-D

16 comments:

tmmullen said...

Now that's a bio. Great story and pics. Definitely worth the wait!

Sonya C said...

Wow!!!! I need to go back and rewrite my bio....

mathbach said...

very cool Donna. good work taking that leap and doing the career switch. not an easy thing to do as life keeps moving right along faster and faster...

mathbach said...

and i forgot to mention, be careful hanging around that dragon, don't forget Krak kills

Vicky said...

You've been busy Donna! The bio was worth waiting for. We have the travel bug too, and I'm annoyed we're not going anywhere this year because we have a new baby (not that I mind the baby
:-D ).

Your dogs are beautiful - and I bet they let you sleep at night!

Carol (Schleicher) Good said...

Hi Donna great bio! It sounds like you have been very busy over the past 20 years. I love to travel also, but haven't been out of the country much yet, only Canada and a little in Mexico during our cruise Maybe when my boys are older. Our next big trip is planned for Alaska in a few years. My husbands's uncle goes up every summer and fishes for salmon and some other big fish with their fishing boat. My little six year old is an avid fisherman and can hardly wait. Anyway, good to hear from you.

pauko27 said...

Donna, thanks for the bio! It might inspire a few others to get theirs posted (including myself). Congrats on making the career choice that would make you happy. I appreciate your volunteer efforts with the wiener dogs. Our last 3 dogs have been from the shelter. And I'm jealous of the travelling you have done.

steve said...

Hey Donna, thanks for sharing your bio ;)

andrea said...

incredible donna.....i am amazed at what you have done over the passed 20 years....traveling is fun, especially when it creates a change in what you want to do with your life! love those dogs/kids...ha! congratulations!

Mare said...

Hey Donna - Great post. A far cry from third street. Congratulations on the courage of a career change. Good for you. I'm looking forward to catching up with you at the reunion. Where did you live when you were in the burgh? I lived in Monroeville.

Donna (Skarbo) Sensor said...

Thanks for all your cool responses!

My dogs only *look* sweet and innocent. My husband and I actually refer to them as the "hell hounds." They are a bit too fond of barking and seem to forget that they don't own the place!

Mare-While in Pittsburgh, we lived the first year in Castle Shannon and then the next two in Library. So we were in the South Hills. How did yinz like Monroeville 'nat? :-)

Anonymous said...

Donna has also been known to jump out of perfectly good airplanes, eat borscht, appear in random places in Europe, and pose near Polish government buildings which steal her name...

steve said...

Donna just oozes 'cool.'

Donna's husband oozed cool until he baile on the LP. ;)

Wonder if anyone makes it down this far anymore?

Donna (Skarbo) Sensor said...

Thanks, Steve. :-D

I think that's the first time anyone from high school ever accused me of being cool!

steve said...

Well, I was president of cool club and we kept sending you invitations but you never came to the meetings. I guess you were too cool to join the club.

I thought I'd hear from Mr. Sensor for having bailed on the LP!

Donna (Skarbo) Sensor said...

Marika - I'm still trying to figure out what I'm doing job-wise. :-)

Yes, I had a short-haired red male doxie named Prinz when I was growing up. Somehow I ended up with four in my adult life!