Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Fears of Forty

Forty is lurking around the corner for all of us!

What are some of your concerns when this time comes?

I feel that this is a time in life that we can truly say we now have "experience". We have been through our grade school years, college years, have been employed or own a business, have been married, maybe divorced, have children, have parents who are older now that may need our support, own a home(s), and many other situations too long to list. Some may be more furtunate than others. ( I apologize if something was left out or missed).So we can really say that we now have "experience" and can possibly offer advice to our own children and others who are seeking advice.

This is now our time in life to shine and help make a difference. Some of us may be future leaders in our communities and government (Mullen). We have an obligation to make a difference from our life's "experience" and I feel that this time is upon us.

I have very mixed feelings about turning forty this year. Believe it or not (I hate to admit this) I am a worry wort. I wonder if I'll see my daughter graduate high school and college, if I'll be around to see her get married and start a family of her own, will I be around to enjoy retirement. These are some of the things I am concerned about. I also know that I am not alone in this (just the only fool to admit this here).

There are so many health concerns that we are faced with today. Do any of you remember hearing about all the different types of diseases, that we are faced with today, growing up? Imagine what our children will be faced with.

How many of you are feeling all the little aches and pains from the activities you once did? The body just doesn't recover like it use to. Sometimes it's tough to accept it.

Is it me or does life seem to go a little faster? The days, weeks, months and years seem to pass at a speed I can't recall as a kid. Is this how our parent's felt as we were growing up?

As I sat next to some of the guys at "hockey night" it was interesting to see how some gray hair is showing on us (Lew didn't show any gray). Life's little stresses have caught up with us. This is a sure sign of "experience".

I have opened myself up for a good bashing and I know some out there will take their jabs and make fun of it. It doesn't bother me because I know that when forty approaches for these people they will be contemplating a lot of things mentioned here.

So let the beating begin.

20 comments:

kristen said...

Randy, although I am not as close to 40 as you are (jab) and I dont necessarily have concerns about getting older, I too worry about being here to see my children grow up, graduate, get married, have children, etc...I have aches and pains, (back, knees)...my biggest health concern believe it or not is not the big "c" word, it is dying suddenly from a heart attack while I am alone with Trisha during the day and her being all alone until someone finds me...that is why I will make it a priority this year to start going to the doctor for regular check-ups, cholesterol and the sort, and to start exercising...i would really love to get one of those full body scans and is something else I will talk to my doctor about..I have not been to my family doc in a looooooong time...i do go to my gyno every year and glad for that since I had a scare after trisha was born and not even gyno related..thyroid nodule, cancer scare, was not thankfully, but the waiting really takes its toll...when I look in the mirror, I do not think I look like I used to think 40 was...I pray that our plans for a long retirement in Myrtle Beach pan out

mj jones said...

well Randy that is something, I for one am only turning 39 this September so as I say I am still "pushing 40". I really don't worry. We found a church we love about 2 years ago and the pastor there has such a great way of putting things in perspective. One thing he said was DON'T WASTE TODAYS ENERGY WORRYING ABOUT TOMORROW. Sounds like your doing some of that. I will say I feel the aches and pains and I agree time flies, your right everyone should give back in some way. That is why I took on the last 2 1/2 years as a cubscout leader and volunteer at the school every week. Hopefully I made a diferance to someone.
Now I am by no means a holy roller but my faith in god has made my life much richer.

randyg said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
randyg said...

MJ - I like the quote. Sometimes applying these types of quotes are easier said then done.

Kristen - I totally agree about many of us not looking our age. Must be the water.

As a parent, how could you not worry about being here to see your child go through life's stages?

I threw this post out to see how others felt. Maybe it will help ease my concerns.

Robb - get off your rocker and put the knitting aside and comment on the subject. All that ice hockey you have to be feeling aches and pains!

mathbach said...

40 sounds like an age where you have to finally think of yourself as a responsible adult. good thing i won't be forty for a while, not ready for that tag.

pauko27 said...

Randy, some very good questions. I appreciate your posting. All of us need to slow down sometimes just to ponder the questions of life. It seems like with our societal demands and familial responsibility, along with so many recreational things to do (ie. technology, etc), we don't allow for 'introspection'/downtime.

The one thing that has changed for me over time is my spiritual view. I have never been religious. I was not raised on religion, but I do believe there is somewhere we go after this life. This world just can't be the end of it. (I guess I don't want to believe that this is it, either) I believe everything we do is being judged and we will be held 'accountable' in one way or another. But it would be amiss for me (or anyone) to try to explain further, as I believe we do not have the capacity to understand the next place we are going to.

Maybe I'll come back later with some more thoughts.

Mcgon said...

I too will be a young 39 this coming April. My lifes motto is to live life to the fullest within your means. I tend not to worry about the future. I believe my cards have already been dealt and things happen for a reason. The future I worry about is all of our childrens? But I don't dwell on it. Our ancestors probably would never believe the world we live in. But I definately think we are very fortunate as somehow our children will be.

mj jones said...

Randy I do think about my children's future, have dreams for them and look forward to certain stages of their lives but I do not worry or dwell on it. It is all in gods hands and he has a plan for each of us.

randyg said...

I'm just glad that Jerry is turning 40 before me! See I'm not the oldest in the class.

Great comments!

Since the start of the new year (a few short weeks ago) it just has really hit me about turning 40. I'm glad that I'm not alone and getting some good feedback.

Sonya C said...

I am going to turn 39 this year, so I still get one more year to worry about this.

I have had arthritis since I was 29 so I understand the pains we are all experiencing. I sometimes have trouble getting out of my car in the morning without thinking how old I am.

I worry more about us destroying the Earth so there is no future for our children. I honestly believe we have passed the "point of no return" in damaging the environment and I worry about ours and future generations. I'm sure most of you think I am "way out there", but it's my opinion.

Sonya C said...

On a side note, what happened to all the bios on the right side?

Steve Freeman said...

A "Side" note? That was funny.

Steve Freeman said...

A "Side" note? That was funny.

mathbach said...

side note reply: the blog chart grfk was kind of wide, maybe it affected the side nav stuff on some browsers (looked fine here) should be fixed now.

you're still laughing about "Side note", aren't you Freeman?

Michelle (Heist) Edwards said...

Well I will be a young 39 next month and unfortunately I do think about living a long life with my daughter. My mom has beaten breast cancer four times and it scares me to think that someday I may be in those same shoes. I do get checked regularly but so many young people are dying from the dreaded disease, it is really scary. I think all of us are very lucky individuals. We all have family, friends and our health and those are the most important. Our age is just a number. My motto is always live each day to the fullest.

Unknown said...

I married an older women so I will always be the youngest in my house.

Unknown said...

All the time. One problem though......she looks much younger than me...

randyg said...

Robb's looking weathered from all that ice hockey and knitting he's doing.

My mind is that of a juvinile but the body is the part that feels it.

What are some of the activities that we have done after high school?

mj jones said...

ok Randy time to start a new post with your question...be specific. How about you take the job of every few days or weekly coming up with a topic for discussion. This one worked well and your write up was great.

Hey Robb I too married a younger man makes me feel a bit younger!! When people here he is 34 they assume I am as well;)

randyg said...

Thanks a lot MJ! Now the pressure is on. I missed a board meeting for our local inspector organization last week and got elected "chairman of education" (without a say) and now this? JK. I have a few subjects I would be happy to throw out there for some comments.