Tuesday, August 28, 2007

The Love Boat


We just got back from a three day cruise from Southampton to Cork, Ireland. I've never cruised before but it's definitely something I'll do again (in fact, we started looking online when we got home this afternoon!). My father-in-law (bless him!) decided it would be a good idea to spend our inheritance and take us (me, John, two kids, father-in-law, my sister-in-law, her husband and their daughter) on this short break. It was more than I expected. My sister and brother-in-law have cruised alot, and Julie the Cruise Director (aka Sue, my sister-in-law), planned everything right down to the minute! Our ship was the Navigator of the Seas, and the picture was taken from the town of Cobh, which is the same port the Titanic left from before beginning her Atlantic crossing. At least I can say I've been to Ireland, even if it was only for about an hour and half - which is long enough to have a pint of real Guinness in a real Irish pub.

Anyway, we had a fantastic time. If you've been on a cruise, you know what I'm talking about. If you haven't, I can't recommend it enough. I didn't think it would be the kind of vacation I'd enjoy, because I hate the beach and I can't stand to lay in the sun all day. But there was lots to do and we're looking at a 10 or 14 day Mediterranean cruise for my 40th birthday next year.



9 comments:

kristen said...

oooohhhh, cruises scare me!

Jamie said...

My husband really wants to go on a cruise. Now hearing your endorsement, I might consider it. Although I think he's thinking the Disney cruise. Take the engineer out of Orlando but you can't get Disney out of his system!

Vicky said...

Kristen, I was a little nervous. I mean, I really appreciate my FIL giving us this cruise, but I was a little worried. One look at the dining room and I thought, "this cruise has Titanic written all over it." But it was great. So much to do. Something for everyone. Jamie, if you do cruise, wait until John is potty trained, because children aren't allowed in the pool if they're not potty trained. Apparently, the horn on the Disney Cruise Line ships play When You Wish Upon a Star.

mj jones said...

good for you Vicki, my husband and I did a 4 night Bahama cruise a few years ago and we too are looking to do one next year w/ the kids when I turn 40 as well. Possibly the Carribean or Alaska. Personally I want to wait on the Alaska cuz' I think the kids will get more out of being able to snorkle and stuff and since it's my birthday celebration I should get to decide the destination. Gosh you must be able to go on those Mediteranian cruises sooo cheap. FYI, I hear the earlier you book the better the bargain.

mj jones said...

Jamie just be warned Disney Cruises cost about 30-40% more than the others. Of course I am sure they are the best!!

kristen said...

what's all this talk about turning 40?

mj jones said...

because it will take me that long to save enough money $$$$

Michelle (Heist) Edwards said...

As I stated before, I have never been on a cruise but everyone says they are great. I get motion sickness very easily so I am afraid to pay all that money and be sick. It looks and sounds like you had a great time.

Sonya C said...

I am so jealous of you Vicki. Let's recap....you went to Paris for a school trip, spent 2 weeks in France, and then a long, weekend cruise?

Wow - and my big vacation this year was spending 4 days off work at home!!!

I hope to go on a cruise once Rob graduates from college.