Saturday, February 23, 2008

The Safety Dance

Do you remember that song?

A senior (who I no longer teach because he didn't take Spanish as an elective - he should have, but that's beside the point!) came into my classroom the other day and asked me if I knew The Safety Dance. I said I remembered it and he said, "Cool song. I've got it on my phone. You want it?" Huh? The Safety Dance? Cool in 2008? So I said yeah, I did want it and he sent it to my phone. I've been bopping around the kitchen this morning while I do laundry and clean up.

So then yesterday during 12th grade Spanish, my students were working on the written portion of their final exam. When we do written work I always let them listen to their i-pods and I could hear, faintly, Duran Duran. Bizarre.

Are the 80's cool again? What are teenagers in the U.S. listening to?

4 comments:

mj jones said...

Ipods during class time your cool, my son's latest downloads include Linkin Park, Matchbox 20, Fall out boys and the All American Rejects. I find it interesting that we like the same suff, I remember my mom hating my music but Austin and I rock out together it's great. Lindsey loves Hannah Motanna and I gotta say I like her stuff too.

kristen said...

jake is not into the 80's music, but i know alot of the high school kids know that stuff

Vicky said...

MJ, it's only the seniors that I let listen to their i-pods and ONLY when we are doing extended written work. Honestly, it's the only way I can get them to stop talking long enough to actually do some work. I wouldn't have been able to hear the Duran Duran if the room hadn't been totally silent.

Tracy said...

my kids are all too young for most stuff, but my three year old daughter also loves hannah montana.
Last year we took them to see The Wiggles in concert. That is about as far as their musical tastes go for now.