Friday, July 27, 2007

For Women In Their 30's...

Ok, I have to admit it...a lot of these things on this list apply to me. I really did think Gopher was cute. Carol...#20 made me think of you. Although we didn't pretend they were our boyfriends, did we? And I think I still have my Donnie and Marie dolls up in my parents' attic. But what are klick-klacks?


1. You owned a bicycle with a banana seat and a plastic basket with flowers on it.

2. You learned to skate with actual skates (not roller blades) that had metal wheels.

3. You thought Gopher from Love Boat was cute (admit it!)

4. You had nightmares after watching Fantasy Island .

5. You had eithe r a "bowl cut" or "pixie", not to mention the "Dorothy Hamill".

6. You had rubber boots for rainy days and Moon boots for snowy days.

7. You owned a "Slip-n-Slide", on which you injured yourself on a sprinkler head more than once.

8. You owned "Klick-Klacks" and smacked yourself in the face more than once !

9. Your Holly Hobbie sleeping bag was your most prized possession.

10. You wore a poncho, gauchos, and knickers.

11. You begged Santa for the electronic game, Simon.

12. You owned "Mork and Mindy"rainbow striped suspenders

13. You had the Donnie and Marie dolls with those pink and purple satiny shredded outfits.

14. You spent hours in your backyard on your metal swing set with the trapeze. The swing set tipped over at least once.

15. You had homemade ribbon barrettes in every imaginable color.

16. You had a pair of Doctor Scholl's sandals (the ones with hard sole & the buckle).

17. You wanted to be Laura Ingalls Wilder really bad; you wore that Little House on thePrairie-inspired plaid, ruffle shirt with the high neck in at least one school picture;and you despised Nellie Oleson!

18. Your hairstyle was described as having "wings" or "feathers" and you kept it "pretty"with the comb you kept in your back pocket.When you walked, the "wings" flapped up and down, looked like you were gonna "take off".

19. You know who Strawberry Shortcake is, as well as her friends, Blueberry Muffin and Huckleberry Pie.

20. You and your girlfriends would fight over which of the Dukes of Hazzard was your boyfriend.

21. It was a big event in your household each year when the "Wizard of Oz" would come on TV.Your mom would break out the popcorn and sleeping bags!

22. You often asked your Magic-8 ball t he question: " Who will I marry. Shaun Cassidy, Leif Garrett, or David Cassidy?"

23. You completely wore out your Grease, Saturday Night Fever, and Fame soundtrack record album.

24. You used to tape record songs off the radio by holding your portable tape player up to the speaker.

25. You had subscriptions to Dynamite and Tiger Beat.

26. You learned everything you needed to know about girl issues from Judy Blume books.(Are you there God, It's me, Margaret.)

27. You wanted to be a Solid Gold dancer.

28. You drowned yourself in Love's Baby Soft - which was the first "real" perfume you ever owned.

12 comments:

kristen said...

the dorothy hamill haircut was my first, and i had long hair, regretted it big time...klick klacks we called clackers, hard to describe what they look like, check out timewarptoys.com...remember spending hours with them and simon wars with mj...still watch grease every chance i get and now trisha's favorite blankie is with strawberry shortcake, cant wait til she starts to read judy blume so i have an excuse to read them again! oh yea, i love nellie oleson!

Vicky said...

I remember it well. Kristen, I started Georgia on Judy Blume last year in Fourth Grade. I read them again myself. They're still fantastic books. I tried to get her interested in the Little House books, but she was having none of it. She's not a frontier girl.

mj jones said...

too Funny I did get the treasured Simon and LOVED it, I laughed when I read about taping things by holding the tape player to the radio boy times have changed. Most of all I remember going to see Grease w/ Kristen quite a few times. I was thinking of that just last night when I went to see Hairspray what an awesome movie I think it's going to be the Grease of today. All you girls take your daughters, mom or a good friend and go see it you'll enjoy it for sure!!!
I remember being in love w/ Paul Michael Glazer but for the life of me don't remember what show he was on, it wasn't Dukes was it??? I even joined his fan club.......

Steve Freeman said...

PM Glazer was on Starsky and Hutch

mj jones said...

yes of course Steve thanks!

kristen said...

i want to see hairspray so bad, but i'll end up not seeing it until dvd comes out...i love john travolta..of course, duh, Grease!
mj...remember rollerskating & skateboarding up & down hunter street for hours?!

Sonya C said...

I would have to admit that a little over 1/2 of them applied to me. Fond memories.

mj jones said...

k- yes I remember, in reguard to the movie just make Brad watch the kids waht the hack does he do all day anyway and just go even if you have to go by yourself. I have gone to the movies many times alone if its the only way I can get there sometimes you just gotta do something for yourself!!!

Michelle (Heist) Edwards said...

I have to admit that some applied to me as well and I laughed at the same one MJ did. Taping songs off the radio. My daughter loves the movie Grease as well. I have yet to see Hairspray but I hope to get there soon.

Carol (Schleicher) Good said...

OK I am sitting here on vacation and just cracking up. I'm not sure if it is because it is late at night or because most of them applied to me! I still have my Donny and Marie dolls and my Grease album. Taping songs from the radio made me laugh also.

Jamie, I can't remember if I liked Bo or Luke more, but we did fight over who got to have him for a boyfriend.

How much Loves Baby Soft did we go through? I am here with two other families and we all used it.

MJ, we had rain yesterday so all the girls went to see Hairspray and LOVED IT! You just want to get up and start dancing. John Travolta is amazing! I will probably buy the dvd when it comes out.

Thanks for posting this. It made my day and took my mind off my sunburn.

PAS1968 said...

Jamie, Thanks for bringing back so many memories. I must admit alot of them applied to me as well. Still have an original pair of Klick-Klacks, more than one game of electronic Simon(still love it), Donnie and Marie dolls are up in the attic. Don't know if I have any barrettes yet, but remember wearing them often. As for Little House, I still watch it. In fact, I bought the entire vhs set of it. Watch Wizard of Oz whenever I see it's on, as well as Grease. I still have my Grease and Saturday Night Fever albums(not worn out yet). These are just a few that applied. I haven't seen Hairspray yet either, but would like to. Anyway, thanks for making me feel like a kid again and taking my mind off of other of life's challenges for a bit.
Patty Snyder

TerriE said...

Just found my Judy Blume books & set them aside for Shuli! The Dorothy Hamill was my mom's fave hairstyle for me. Like Kristen, I went from long to short and didn't like it. To bad "The Jennifer" wasn't the style back then...at least that's nicer ;-) Oh, and Shaun Cassidy was a dream boat! I made a scrapbook w/his pictures and fawned over it every week during the 'Hardy Boys'!! This whole list brings back sweet memories and makes me wonder what a future list like this might include for our girls. I'm sure Zac Efron will somehow be on the list of crushes!