Thursday, November 06, 2008

Why This Election Was So Important

Someone on an expats forum I frequent posted this article. Please read it. It (very accurately) describes what life has been like for all us American expats for the last eight years. I'm ashamed to admit that I have pretended to be Canadian to spare myself the vitriol of people on this side of the pond. I've also pretended to be Spanish or French, because I speak those languages and can get away with it. Like the author said, they were survival skills. Hopefully over the next four years I won't have to use them so much anymore.

I'm glad Obama has been elected, and I'm even more glad that George Bush's presidency is coming to an end.

4 comments:

Sonya C said...

Wow, that is a nice post. I didn't realize how bad it was for expats. I have read a few articles since the election and it appears that most of the world is happy with our choice on Tuesday. I would love to see the world start to like the US again - I am tired of hearing that we are the bad guys.

Go OBAMA!!!

mj jones said...

hmmm I didn't realize that stuff went on, I am glad you don't have to pretend anymore.

Donna Thomas said...

It's amazing how intolerant the rest of the world can be, isn't it?

Vicky said...

I agree Donna, but to be honest, I don't see how their intolerance of all things American is any different to alot of the things I've heard Americans say about Muslims, for example. Americans can be equally intolerant. I can understand where they are coming from. Everything the U.S. does affects the rest of the world, but the U.S. doesn't seem the slightest bit fazed by or even interested in that fact. I think the fact that Obama made foreign visits as part of his campaign shows a willingness to be more open and aware of what happens in the rest of the world when the U.S. sneezes. Hopefully the rest of the Democratic party (and by association the country) will follow suit. In my opinion, the Republican party perpetuated the insularity (is that a word?) that has been part of the national psyche for the last 8 years.