Wednesday, May 14, 2008

The Ardèche


I just got back from seven days in the south of France. My Head of Year (kind of like Head of House - think Harry Potter) decided last year that he wanted to do an adventure trip and very kindly invited me along. We took 28 kids and 4 staff, and we stayed at an adventure centre which was staffed by some of the most amazing people I've ever met. They took us climbing, spelunking, mountain biking, and taught us archery and how to maneuver a high ropes course. It was so much fun! We also spent three days on the Ardeche river; one day kayaking, and then two days canoeing and camping for a night. Okay, pictures. The first is the Ardèche from the top of the gorge. It was some of the most breathtaking scenery I've ever seen. Picture two is Pont d'Arc, which is a natural rock formation. You can't see it in the picture but on the other side are some killer rapids which knocked me straight out of my kayak! Picture three is Rob, my Head of Year, climbing the cliff. There were three courses on the cliff, and he did all three of them (he climbs twice a week!). Some of the kids did all three too. I managed one. If we go next year, I'm going to try all three. The last picture is the full view of the rock face that we climbed. The whole experience was amazing, and I am so tired and so sore and covered in bruises and bumps and scrapes. My butt is still numb from the 22 hour bus ride.

9 comments:

kristen said...

looks amazing...i've got to get a job that lets me take trips like this...fat chance

Steve Freeman said...

Vicki, that looked like a nice leisurely climb. Any drunk students this year?

Vicky said...

No, no drunks this year. The climb wasn't that bad, to be honest. And we didn't go all the way up. Our canoeing leader, Sam, was only 18. I couldn't believe it when he told me how old he was. Anyway, as we were canoeing we passed a huge 600ft high rock called The Faces and Sam told me that on Wednesday (yesterday, his day off) he was going to rappel down it and then climb up it. Now that's a nice easy climb! He's a total adrenalin junkie. All the girls loved him!

mj jones said...

what a great thing to do with your class, I doubt we could ever do that back here in the USA.

Michelle (Heist) Edwards said...

Sounds like a great adventure. Pictures are great. I agree with MJ...I don't even think kids take trips anymore like we did when we went to NY for the day in 7th grade with Mr. Bomber.

kristen said...

yes, they do michelle...6th grade goes to washington dc...7th grade goes to NY to see a play..i'm going again this year(with no kids to chaperone!) to see hairspray...and 8th grade goes to hershey park, with no chaperones..they get to peruse the park on their own, a bit scary if you ask me

Tracy said...

Down here they go to Washington DC in the fourth grade (a little early I think) and to Ashville to see the Biltmore Estate in middle school. No trips to NY from down here I guess.

Carol (Schleicher) Good said...

Vicki, that sounds like such a fun trip! Glad the kids behaved themselves this time. My son in
5th grade is going to Philadelphia this year. Iwanted to go, but there were enough chaperones and I didn't get picked.

Sonya C said...

Wow Vicki, you definetly get to see the world!! I am so jealous!!

I also am glad to hear that the kids did not get in trouble this year...however, reading the stories about it was entertaining.