Saturday, May 12, 2007

Sportsman's Lake


Anyone remember Sportsman's lake? I know Robb does. Today (5/12), I took my two sons down and Trae was hitting the Sunnies like nothin'. He was so happy fishing. He loves it. He caught so many, he said, "Today was the most fun I've ever had." It was such fun going fishing with the two of them and seeing their faces as they caught fish after fish. I also hooked into a very large snapping turtle, but luckily he threw the hook before he got to shore (he was about 24 inches long and looked nasty). I was happiest when he shook off and swam in the other direction.
The fish in the pic was his 5th (he started by indicating with fingers, but caught so many he ran out of fingers - 11 for the day).

8 comments:

Vicky said...

What a handsome boy (and fish)! Steve, I'm a fishing virgin. Can you eat a Sunnie?

Steve Freeman said...

Old people say its really sweet, but I can't push myself to kill them intensionally. We just throw them back.

kristen said...

my boys love to fish too, but only when they are catching! otherwise they get bored...i've already eaten sunnies, but years and years ago when i was a kid, from what i can remember there isnt much to them, seems to be not worth the effort

kristen said...

and oh yes, happy mother's day to all of us mothers out there in blog world

mj jones said...

Sunnies are really good to eat if you batter and fry them up. They have to be of descent size though to get any meat off them. We like them to be as big as big as an adults hand and you have to check them for parasites. What a great way to spend time w/ your son. I can't wait to get out fishing but our kids baseball schedule has us very limited these days. We got the boat out and took the dust off in hopes of going over memorial day.

mathbach said...

good stuff daddyo. and belated Happy Mom's day to all you moms.

kristen said...

yesterday, we were all at my mom's and in the spirit of keeping the river rat tradition alive, my brother & brad took all the kids down to the river...my nephews came back soaked and shivering as they thought it was warm enough to swim, my boys only got their feet wet (wimps or smart?!) and trisha comes traipsing back with no shirt on, legs wet to her knees covered with river dirt, she enjoyed throwing about 100 rocks in the river, and she even caught a fish..i tell you, it was quite a sight

mugs said...

I remember Bydlon taking us there for Bio class, I didn't realize that it was refilled.

Going to Petersville for trout contest with my 4yr old girl, 3rd contest this year, she loves it.
Fun watching how excited they get and also frustrating keeping them occupied when the fishing slows