Saturday, February 03, 2007

Back Home!

Well, I go away for a few days and you all just keep blogging without me! I have so much catching up to do!
We arrived home this morning. My mom was stable enough that I felt comfortable coming home. I'm going to try to get back again at Easter if possible. The short version of the story is that what should have been a routine surgery with very little risk turned into a medical nightmare. She is still in the CICU at HUP and will remain there for some time. After that, they'll move her to the Cardiothoracic Unit where she'll stay until she's ready to go home. She's off most of the equipment and meds that were keeping her going, and when I saw her yesterday, she was sitting up in bed, fully awake, nodding and squeezing my hand. She looked like herself, with the exception of the big ventilator tube sticking out of her mouth. Her doctor told me they were planning on removing that yesterday afternoon, and I'm going to call my brother shortly to find out if they actually did. I might get to speak to her on the phone and I'm excited about that.
To all of you who posted comments and messages, sent e-mails and called me, thanks for the support and cyberhugs. You got me through what has been the hardest 10 days of my life.
Steve, I thought about you every day as I drove past Lincoln Financial Field on my way to the hospital.

10 comments:

kristen said...

vicki, glad to hear things are looking up and you are home safe

pauko27 said...

Great to hear your mom's doing better.

Jamie said...

Vicki...happy to hear your Mom is doing better.

Steve Freeman said...

Vicki, great to hear your mom is improving and a have to laugh that you thought of ME every time you went by Lincoln Financial Field. I'm suprised you didn't see me. I go there everyday for my daily pilgrimage. It is like a temple for those who Bleed Green. Anyway, welcome back and let everyone know what's up (especially if you venture back over Easter).

randyg said...

Steve - I think of you eveytime I drive by there as well.......and then I start laughing and think yeah.....another year that they didn't make it to the big show. Just kidding buddy.

Vicki - Glad you are home safely.

mj jones said...

Vicki, glad things are looking up.

mj jones said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
TerriE said...

Vicki-Very glad to hear that all the prayers helped! I'll continue praying for. Take care!

Michelle (Heist) Edwards said...

Vicki, I am so glad to hear that your mom is on the mend and hopefully when you come home at Easter, your mom will be well and we can all get together. Glad to hear you had a safe trip home as well.

PAS1968 said...

Vicki, glad to hear things are looking better with your mom and you had a safe trip home. I've been saying a special prayer for you and your family every night. Sure glad someone up there is listening. Anyway, take care and hope your mom is up and about soon.

Patty(Newhart)Snyder