Sunday, September 17, 2006

The MS 150 Ride is Done!






158 Miles, 10 hours, 7600 calories burned.

There were over 7,000 cyclist who raised a record 4 million dollars.

Saturday September 16, 2006
We were on the road by 6:45 AM in a down pour of rain for over 1 and half hours.....not fun at all! The weather became overcast and then sunny as we were getting into Ocean City New Jersey at 12:05 PM.

Sunday September 17, 2006
We were back on the road again by 6:45 AM under a beautiful sunrise and had great weather for the ride back to Cherry Hill New Jersey. We arrived back at 11:35 AM. It was a little tough getting back on the bike and getting started but once we started rolling things got better.

It just amazes me the number of people with MS who show up to support the riders and personally thank them as they cross each finish line. A stranger will just walk up to you, shake your hand and just say "Thanks for all you have done to help". So many of them in wheel chairs and walking with canes. It is one of the best feelings in the world to know that we are helping to make a difference.

One little funny thing happened on the ride. I purchased a good quality cycling bib/shorts just for this ride. At our last rest stop on Saturday (25 miles away from Ocean City) my teamates thought it would be best if they informed me that my bike shorts tore at the seam in the rear and that my ass was showing for the last 40 to 50 miles. They all thought it was funny and had a good time at my expense. I just told them to "say no to crack". I also explained to them that I was pedaling so hard that my shorts just couldn't take all the pressure. I would just like to know how many of the 7,000 cyclist on the road got to see my ass hanging out that day. Needless to say I had to purchase another set of shorts for the ride back. I do have a picture of this but will not be posting it.

I am already registered for next years event. I am looking into doing a breast cancer ride from New York City to Hershey PA next summer which will be 4 days on the bike.

I want to say thanks to all of the classmates who sponsored me!

27 comments:

mj jones said...

Congratulations Randy....thanks for working toward a cure!!!

randyg said...

Thanks MJ.

Unknown said...

And I am sure your fellow cyclists thank you for the free showing of the moon during daylight.

randyg said...

Oh my teamates are just having a blast with it. "Crack Kills", "Say No to Crack" and so many other good ones. Hey....I'll be remembered by some. At least the cycling shop made good for the defect.....they also got a good laugh. They said "I put it all on the line", "let it all hang out". I'm still laughing.

Steve Freeman said...

Where are the pix of your ass hangin' out?

Congrats, and maybe some day we can get together for a workout (like old times at the Y).

randyg said...

Sorry Steve, that picture is put away for a long time. I am emotionally damaged for life now. The old workouts are over. No more heavy weights for me. Just a lot of biking, running and core training. At 39 I don't need those killer workouts like we use to do. Good times though!

pauko27 said...

Congrats, Randy. The MS rides are great events to be a part of. Very inspiring with a lot of comaraderie. I look forward to getting back in them in the future.

Unfortunately, in the MS ride in SC, a teenage girl was killed when her family riding together was hit by a truck pulling some kind of trailer. My guess is some Southern hick didn't like the bike riders on his roads and either tried to pass too close or pass when traffic was coming in the opposite direction on a small 2 lane road. Happens a lot down here. These rides will always have some danger to them.

randyg said...

Thanks Pauko - I did see several wrecks on the road and one that happened 20 yards in front of us where we had to avoid hitting the person down.

lw said...

hey phil mccrakken!!!
Are we still golfing??? whats the scoop.

Steve Freeman said...

Hey Lew, shouldn't you be working on the music?

Steve Freeman said...

Hey Lew, shouldn't you be working on the music?

randyg said...

Lew - I had posted something about two weeks ago for golfing and nobody responded. I was just going to cancell it unless I hear that some still want to play. I still have a tee time of 9:00 held for us. Hey, if it's just us I'll still play.

lw said...

freemondo the music is done up to this point, i need more request!
randy keep the tee time, i will play and i'm sure we can find two more.

Unknown said...

Randy!!!
Do not cancel the golf. Judy, Mary and I are in. I'm sorry I did not see the recent blog stuff about golf. I assumed it was a done deal when you first put it out there. In fact, Mary and I just went to the driving range at Willowbrook today to get some practice swings in. Count us in!!!

Unknown said...

Lew
Here's another song request.....Double Dutch Bus? No idea who sings it.

randyg said...

Kim - I will make one last post to see who signs up. I was wrong on my last post. Willowbrook no longer rents clubs out. Too many of them walked away.

mathbach said...

i added Lew's request line to the list of links to the right.

lw said...

kim, did you and mary injure anyone while hacking away?

Unknown said...

Only a few small animals. Are you golfing the day of the reunion? You could be our target based on that comment.

lw said...

yes i am, i think we should golf in the same group. it looks like there may not be too many more than us anyway. btw - my bag holds about a half case of liqid refreshment.

Unknown said...

Do you think you are safer if you are golfing with us rather than in front of us?
Do you know who else is joining in? At first, I thought it was 12-13 people- not so anymore?

randyg said...

Kim & Lew - I will do one final post for sign ups for golfing later today. I really need to get the final numbers into Willowbrook. At one point I had 4 Foursomes and now I don't know if that will hold out. I still plan to play if it is just us. Look for the post later today.

lw said...

kim - if not with you, the safest spot maybe following your group....i think.

Unknown said...

You've never seen Mary and I golf before, have you?

Unknown said...

Randy, I am in for the golf !!!

Unknown said...

We can hit you even if you are behind us!!!

randyg said...

Lew - I can arrange that we start on #1 and put them at # 18.....forget that idea #1 & #18 shoot opposite of each other.....that could get really dangerous!!!!!