Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Ode to Louie


For thirteen years, I had to share my bed with him (and Trina). I don't remember what is is like to NOT have to clean up dog crap. He was always at the door when I got home. Always underfoot when I cooked, and always there to catch the food I dropped.
I shared my meals with him (he even ate off the same spoon when eating cereal), and always made extra for his future meals. I truly loved Louie and will miss him, but I am glad he no longer has to suffer the everyday problems that plagued him for nearly the past year or so. I am sure the meds weren't fun (even though he got them inside a Krimpet or vanilla pudding) for the last few months. I'm sure he did not like his heart failing him and allowing his lungs to fill with fluids.
I know he loved when I came home from shopping because that always meant he would get a treat or six. I know he loved the attention and companionship that he got from everyone in the house (though he lost his brother Chuckie a few summers ago). He loved to lick, he loved to sleep, and he loved to fart.
He was a "crusty old man" and I actually got teary eyed this morning as I looked at his spot in the bed and he was not there. He was loved and always gave unconditional love and though I will not miss wiping his butt or carrying him up and down the stairs, I will miss him.

I love Lou. . .

10 comments:

Carol (Schleicher) Good said...

Steve, I am so sorry to hear about your dog. I know how important pets are to us and our dog is like part of the family. I'm sure he will be missed.

Jamie said...

Steve...I am sorry to hear about Lou. I know it's hard to lose a pet.

kristen said...

also, sorry for your loss steve, what a lovely yet funny tribute

randyg said...

Steve - that's tough to go through. I had to put down my black lab and that was one of the toughest days of my life. As a fellow animal lover I feel your pain. If you haven't read the book Marley and Me you have to. Wait to read it in summer time though.

mj jones said...

Steve sorry you lost your buddy.

Donna Sensor Thomas said...

Steve, your post brought a tear to my eye. I'm sending you an e-hug. I lost my oldest doxie, Johann, last summer and I still miss him terribly.

Steve Freeman said...

Thanks everyone for the words of sympathy. I hated to make the post and can't even read it myself. My eyes swell (and my throat) as I am typing. Well, Thanks.

Sonya C said...

Steve - I am so sorry for your loss. I also started to tear up as I read your post. Animal lovers make their pets one of their children so I realize how difficult this is for you.

Again, so sorry for your loss.

Tracy said...

Steve, I am sure he was happy having you near and knowing that you love him. So sorry for your loss, its hard losing a friend and family member.

Vicky said...

Steve, I'm so sorry about Lou. We lost our cat 2 years ago, and I still miss him terribly. Our dog is 16 this year, and I know that soon we'll lose him too. It's so hard to let a member of the family go. Hugs to you, mate.