Monday, January 14, 2008

Wicked!



I took Georgia to London on Saturday to see Wicked - The Untold Story of The Witches of Oz. An amazing show, by the way. If you ever find yourself in New York City with three hours to spare, go see it. Anyway, it was nice to spend the day together, having lunch and talking about girl stuff while we walked to the theater. I appreciate the fact that as she becomes a teenager, she'll probably want to spend less time with me, so I'll take what I can get now!
Our little walk took us by Buckingham Palace, and Georgia noticed that the Union Flag was flying over the Palace and she pointed out to me that this means the Queen is in residence. Then she asked, "Mum, what do you think she's doing in there?"

"I don't know," I said. "Queening?"

By the way, remember The Young Ones? Neil (the hippie guy) was the Wizard. I expected him to come onstage looking like this!

3 comments:

Steve Freeman said...

Did Neil start the play by coming on stage and saying, "I'm having a party and you're all invited". That is my favorite line from the Young Ones.
Glad you enjoyed the time with your daughter. I also wonder what the queen "does" in the palace. Maybe she does wash or dishes or cooks dinner, naaaaaaaa.

kristen said...

i heard this show was really good...when the kids are older, i plan on taking more girl trips to NY for shows and shopping....

i'm so jealous, i've always had a secret fascination with the royals!

Vicky said...

Kristen, the show was unbelievable. And the story was really clever and funny. I also have a secret fascination with the royals. I think the Queen is amazing. She's in her 80s, and she still works (and she does work - I'd be exhausted if I kept the schedule that woman keeps). Prince Phillip is just funny. He says the stupidest things and doesn't care if he offends anyone in the process. One of these days I will do the tour of Buckingham Palace!
Steve, "Neil" spoke with an American accent, because of course the Wizard is from Missouri, but a couple of times I swear I could hear Neil in there, BURSTING to come out!