Sunday, September 30, 2007

MS Ride Woes

First let me say Thank You to all who sponsored me for the MS Ride.

Now for the bad news.

A week and a half before the ride I ended up spending a night in the hospital. A past hernia repair caused some problems for me that prevented me from doing the ride. The doctor benched me for two weeks from riding the bike at all. I did everything in my power to convince him to allow me to ride it but he didn't go for it all.

My training was going so well and for the first time in four years of doing the MS Ride I felt that I was in the best shape for doing the ride.

I had dinner with the team the night before and it was really difficult to see them go without me.

Now for the second round of bad news.

The one team member (first year rider) didn't drink as much fluid as he should have been while doing the ride and ended up passing out on the bike and crashed really bad. He then had a seizure and they rushed him to the hospital. Two other team members ended up going with him to the hospital where they kept him over night. He had a concussion. The rest of the team ended up driving to the hospital and then came home that same night. So none of them got to finish the complete ride.

We all raised the money that we had set out to but didn't get to finish what we started. The money still goes to a great cause.

Overall it has been a really big let down for all of us and now look forward to next year.

Sorry that I don't have any funny stories about a person's shorts ripping while on the ride like last year. Maybe next year!

8 comments:

Sonya C said...

So sorry to hear all the bad news. Hopefully your team member will be fine.

The money went to a great cause - you don't have to finish the race to be a winner.

kristen said...

yea, sorry randy...better luck next year

Jamie said...

Sorry to hear it wasn't such a great year. But like Sonya said, the money went to a great cause and there's always next year.

Vicky said...

Hugs Randy. You guys are doing a good thing and the cause still benefits. I hope your team member recovers (and you too!). Put it behind you and look forward to next year's race.

randyg said...

Thanks for all the warm wishes.

There were over 8,000 cyclist (the largest ever) for the event.

Hopefully I'll be cleared to get back on the bike for this weekend. All this beautiful weather and I can't be out there on the bike.

You can check out pictures and stats at the MS web site. Just click on "City to Shore"

Thanks again!

Steve Freeman said...

Did you say Hoes or Woes? I went to the site looking for pix of hoes. Sorry, my bad. No, seriously, the cause was the reason, now get the hell back on the bike and ride.

randyg said...

I could've made a type-o and made it hoes. That may have got more reaction out of everyone (who is left here on the blog).

Hope to be riding on Saturday and Sunday and begin night riding next week.

When are you going to start riding?

mj jones said...

Hope your feeling better soon Randy. We've had a rough couple of weeks here as well. We lost a very close family member unexpectedly.