Sunday, November 11, 2007

I can't sleep!

And since no one has posted on the blog in a few days, I thought I'd just let you know that I'm awake (thanks to the boy!) and have been for about 2 hours. It's now 5:30 a.m. So, I'll take this opportunity just to tell you what's been happening in my life lately. It's nothing exciting, but I just feel like talking to someone and no one is up now but me. So aren't you lucky?!
The week of October 28 was half-term, which means we had a week off school - thank God! We went back to work/school on November 5, and that same morning Her Majesty's Inspectors from the Office for Standards in Education (Ofsted) called to say they'd be dropping in on Wednesday morning for an inspection. On Tuesday and Wednesday last week I was in my classroom by 6:30 a.m. I wasn't planning on doing anything differently, but my lessons are all in my head and Ofsted like to see them on paper. You'll be happy to know that we were found to be "good with outstanding qualities". Not bad for an inner city school. We celebrated on Friday morning with mimosas in the staffroom. Also on Friday a job came up in the Times Educational Supplement for a management post at a swanky, posh private girls' school in Sheffield. I've decided to apply for it. Wish me luck.
So I've spent my time this morning looking for somewhere we can spend a weekend away before Christmas. I'd love to go to a German Christmas market, but flights are so expensive at Christmastime that we'll have to stay in the UK. There's a German Christmas market that comes to Leeds anyway, and that's just down the road. Last time we went I was pregnant, and I ate my way through the market. I started with bratwurst, then made my way to the beer tent where I had this fantastic macaroni and cheese with fried onions, and then a pretzel. Eventually I came to the chocolate covered fruit, where my friend Paula had a really rude-looking chocolate-covered banana.
Anyway, so now I'm looking at a weekend for us in London before Christmas. At Christmastime in the UK, every theater does a pantomime, or panto. I always thought of pantomime as a guy dressed in black and white with a painted face, pretending to get out of a box. But no, in the UK it's an audience participation play. It's usually a fairy tale like Cinderella or Sleeping Beauty. The audience gets to shout things at the characters ("It's behind you!") and throw things at the stage. I'm looking for tickets to the panto at the Old Vic in London. Ian McKellan (Gandalf from Lord of the Rings) is usually in it. John doesn't like panto but it's fun for the kids, so he'll have to get over it.
Have you started your Christmas shopping yet? I have, but I'm disorganized and I don't know what to buy my daughter. I had a heart to heart with her about Santa Claus the other day. Usually by this time she's written her letter to Santa, but no letter this year. So I asked her if she still believed in the big guy and she informed me that she does not, but is willing to play along for the sake of the boy. This makes Christmas easier for me, because I don't have to sneak a peek at her letter to Santa. I can just ask her. Only she doesn't know what she wants and I'm a bit stuck for ideas. I might go shopping later today and take her with me. Maybe something will jump out at her. The boy is all taken care of. He's 19 months old. He'll be happy with the box his diapers came in.
Well, now that you're all up to date on my oh-so-exciting life, I'll go make some more coffee. Nice talking to you!

5 comments:

TerriE said...

Vicki,
The same thing happened to us the other day when Shuli informed us that she doesn't believe in Santa but does believe in the "idea of Santa". That's her way of saying it's been fun and thanks for the memories! I am psyched about Shauna's 1st Christmas and Shuli wants to help play Santa for her. I've already bought tons of clothes from L2 for her so I don't have much to do there. Shauna won't know the difference but we'll spoil her a little. Shuli has been picking out what she will buying her little sister with her own money!
I am so happy and blessed to have these 2 beautiful girls.

kristen said...

i love the quiet of the morning when no one is up yet...dont get those mornings too often

have a bit of shopping done but not much...usually wait until Brad's coaching check comes (this week..woo hoo!) its nice to have right before xmas..Jake doesnt believe anymore either and its much easier, i'm always sneaking around xmas eve, hoping the other 2 are sound asleep so I dont get caught

We are heading to OC Md after thanksgiving for a little get-away, hope the weather is nice

Michelle (Heist) Edwards said...

Vicki, good luck with the job interview. I don't believe Jenna believes anymore either, yet I don't think she wants to quite admit it. Kris, have fun in OC. It is always nice to get away.

Sonya C said...

I am so jealous...my idea of vacation right now is to go back to PA for Thanksgiving with me parents.

I wish you lots of luck with the new job Vicki. How much different would it be for you? Better pay, benefits, or just a better environment? If I am asking too personal of questions - just tell me to blow off!!

I have been meaning to post pictures of my hair butchering but haven't gotten around to taking the "after" picture. I'll try to get on that soon. Also have been meaning to post an update on my puppy, but at this point, I'll probably wait for the results from the next vet visit.

Vicky said...

Thanks for the job vibes guys. I don't know if I want the job, but I want an interview. I'm just tired of dealing with all the behavioral issues that go along with public school, and I'd rather be in an environment where I can actually teach and students can actually learn. I don't think the money would be that much better, but I would get more time off during the year, and I'd be in an environment that's really conducive to learning. I can't believe that Ofsted rated my school as "good". When the results came in on Friday morning, I was like, what the hell school did they inspect?

Sonya, we'd love to see pictures of your new 'do and also, of your little dog! She must be so big now.