Monday, April 27, 2009

Knot Ugly Shrug


In my never-ending quest to become Laura Ingalls Wilder, I started crocheting. Again. I used to crochet, believe it or not. Yes, you've known me for almost 40 years and you didn't know that I crochet. A lady can't reveal all her secrets.

My Aunt Ree taught me to crochet when I was a little girl and it was something that I did on and off. Then I put my hook down and didn't touch it again for about 15 years. Recently, I've learned to knit. It's a skill I really wanted to learn, and I set myself the challenge of learning a new skill every month in 2009. I quickly realized something. I.hate.knitting. I'm sorry, but I do. I can't deal with two needles, it seems like you knit and knit and knit and don't really get anywhere. There's too much counting. Don't even get me started on dropped stitches. But during the course of my skill-a-month challenge, I came to the conclusion that I was ready to pick up my crochet hook again. So I dug out my hook, looked through my stash of yarns, leafed through my favourite book on crochet, and came up with this. The Knot Ugly Shrug. I wore it to work today with the dress in the picture, a pair of cream-coloured Mary Janes from Office and a long string of pearls. I got loads of compliments, and someone said I looked like I was off to have tea with the Queen. I did feel a bit special!

7 comments:

Jamie said...

I'm so impressed! You ARE Laura Ingalls Wilder in my mind! I tried to teach myself to knit when John was born. It was a train wreck. I am totally lacking in skill. So I'll just admire your work and be silently jealous! ;o)

kristen said...

i used to crochet, years and years ago...before high school even...couldnt do it now if my life depended on it...however I should have my aunt teach me again, because she makes awesome brown & white afghans for the kids, jake just mentioned to me the other day that he wants another one so he can have one on his bed and one for the basement.

kristen said...

oh, and by the way, vicki...impressive

Sonya C said...

Very impressive - I don't think I could do it if my life depended on it. Wow, a skill every month.....guess I need to get going with my life and exploring new things....

mj jones said...

so what other skills have you attempted?

Vicky said...

I've finally learned to bake bread from scratch.

I've learned how to look after chickens (we have 6)

I'd like to learn something practical, like plumbing or something like that. I have to admit my skill-a-month challenge has fallen by the wayside a bit. :-/

Tracy said...

I'm jealous.....never could figure out how to crochet no matter how many people tried to show me....very nice shrug...who needs to knit when you can do that?