Monday, October 06, 2008

What a week!!

Sorry that I was absent and missed all the discussions....

My neighbor was unemployed so she was letting my dog out for me during the day while I am at work. Tuesday she called me and told me I had to "come home immediately". Well, I got home and Mia had torn a two inch gash on the top of her paw and we could fold the skin back over an inch!! Needless to say, I had to make an emergency vet visit and they were talking surgery. Then they remembered that she has kidney disease and surgery must be a last resort, so the poor little puppy got 8 staples.

Rob stayed home with her on Wednesday and I stayed home with her Thursday and Friday to make sure everything was okay - no infections and she doesn't pull off the bandage. She seemed to be doing fine, so Saturday we decided to go out for breakfast. We were gone no more than 1 1/2 hours and we came home to find that she had torn off her bandage and had proceeded to rip out every staple!! Back to the emergency vet we go....

Here we find out that the wound in not healing properly and the skin is dying. To make a long story short, they end up cutting off the dead skin and restapling her with 10 staples. I am concerned about how this is going to heal - possibility it won't. This is my child so I have been a little bit upset but I plan on paying more attention now......

7 comments:

Donna Thomas said...

Sonya,

So sorry to hear about your doggie! :-( And she has kidney disease, too? Wow.

Would an E-collar help keep her away from her paw?

mj jones said...

YES! try ther collar it looks rediculous but they work.

I won't even ask what your bill is? My friend spent $3000.00 on her dog last year to treat some disease and he died anyway. YIKES

Vicky said...

Sonya, I'm so sorry to hear about your dog. I hope she makes full recovery.

Sonya C said...

We bought a collar for her to wear and we are going to try it tomorrow when I go to work. The vet is concerned that she still may be able to get to the bandage and staples because it is her front paw and may be able to lift it to her face even with the collar on....we will have to wait and see.

Jamie said...

Sonya,

I'm sorry to hear about your dog. Hoping the collar works. I had to use one with a cat once. Imagine a cat wearing one! The poor thing was a neurotic mess!

kristen said...

yea, not fun...hope she gets better, sometime dogs are more expensive than kids

Sonya C said...

Well here is the latest on my great adventure.....

I had a doctor's appointment yesterday so before I left, I put the collar on her (which was so tight I struggled pulling it over her head) and put her in her crate. I was gone 2 hours and when I returned, there was a puppy sitting there looking at me with no collar on!! She somehow pulled it off her head and decided to chew it up....thank goodness she was so busy chewing up the collar that she left her bandages alone.

After being home with her for 5 days, I am at work today and we double wrapped her bandage so hopefully she won't get to the staples today. Lordy, she is driving me crazy!! I may have to take more time off depending on what happens today but I hope not.